Southeast Asia Focus
We are long-term residents and investors in Southeast Asia. We grew up here, our social and professional networks are here, and we hope to grow old here.
When we first started our careers here in the mid to late 90s, we saw how over-leveraged companies were brought to their knees when the Asian financial crisis struck. Then, over the years we saw how local and global events could have profound impacts on the growth trajectory of Southeast Asian nations and companies.
Yet through it all, some companies thrived and became better. Some family businesses successfully transitioned to professional management. Many successful entrepreneurs combined single-minded determination with breakthrough ideas and new technological enablers.
The backdrop that allows these good businesses to thrive continues to be increasingly favourable. The regional economies are growing and integrating – trade barriers are being taken down when in other parts of the world they are being erected. The population is young and hungry – with consumption the most important driver of GDP growth in many Southeast Asian countries. Governance standards and a pro-business, pro-investment environment continue to be the main objective of many governments here.
Lower Mid-Market Focus
Good businesses are never short of funding options. However, at the smaller end, funding from traditional banking sources may be restrictive or inflexible.
We bring with us experiences and knowledge that we believe go beyond capital. We expect to play a role in the growth of the companies we invest in. Yet, the role can vary depending on where our partners and we believe will be most impactful.
Examples of our areas of assistance:
- Driving acquisition and industry consolidation to create larger, more competitive businesses
- Succession management and transition from founder-led to professional management
- Creation of incentives framework, and driving value realization for management
- Technology implementation to improve productivity and reduce costs
- Corporate re-organization and capital structure improvements
- Improving brand affiliation and product marketing, driving higher price realization
We believe that companies in the lower mid-market stand to benefit much more from our participation, than more mature, larger enterprises with broader expertise.
Dymon Asia Private Equity (S.E. Asia) Fund Parameters
- Targeted at Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs) across Southeast Asia, with particular focus in Singapore, Malaysia and Thailand
- Flexibility with majority or minority investments
- Invests in all sectors except real estate, resources and technology start-ups
- Exit via public listings, or trade sale
Dymon Asia Private Equity (S.E. Asia) Fund I
- SGD 300 million fund, launched in October 2012
- Focus on profitable companies with revenues of between SGD 10 million and SGD 500 million
- Equity investment of SGD 15 million to SGD 50 million in each company
- Invested in a total of 12 portfolio companies
Dymon Asia Private Equity (S.E. Asia) Fund II
- USD 450 million fund, closed in April 2018
- Focus on profitable companies with revenues of between USD 20 million and USD 500 million
- Equity investment of USD 15 million to USD 50 million in each company